CR QMOD™ technology is opening the door to new HDTV applications. The QMOD-HDSC HDTV Scaler Modulator is the first HD modulator specifically designed for digital signage integration. The onboard in-stream scaler ingests signage at PC resolution, converting the output to 1080i or 720p video. In addition the scaler features up and down-scaling, zoom, shrink, and positioning.
- Create your own on-site HDTV broadband distribution system using a variety HD, SD, and AV sources
- Distribute digital signage, satellite, cable, and media as HD digital cable channels over existing broadband wiring
- View HD sources at any destination using HDTV displays or tuners
Super-easy scaling for VGA or Component input up to 1920x 1080 (see resolution list in Specifications), Auto-scales by resolution, format in two simple steps:
- Horizontal - Up/down arrows zoom and shrink, left/right move image on horizontal axis
- Vertical - Left/Right rows move image up and down, Up/Down zooms and shrinks vertically
- Clock Phase adjusts scanning to optimize image
- QMOD-HDSC automatically saves formatting for each resolution and refresh rate
- Converts PAL video to NTSC
- NTSC composite video not presently operational
- Employs pro-grade HD encoding by NTT that minimizes artifacts for motion video and signage “tickers”
- Merges audio with video from analog stereo, digital optical and coax inputs
- Responds to GPI inputs to switch to EAS composite video and audio
- Creates a high-definition 720p/1080i MPEG-2 stream for broadcast
- Delivers a fully agile QAM 64/256 digital cable channel 2-135
- Amplifies for distribution over an on-site broadband cable system with adjustable output level to 29 dBmV, compatible with all cable format broadband systems
- Sets up with front-panel buttons and easy to use menus, including inputs, encoding, channel, and RF options.
- Integrates with RS-232 control and feedback with simple ASCII commands
- Powers up in less than 4 seconds, no OS overhead
- Saves power and rack space using efficient design, fan-free cooling, and compact enclosure
- Includes compact switching power supply
- Mounts in optional 1RU single (RK1) or dual (RK2) 19” rack kits
- Meets RoHS safety and California energy standards.
- New! Drive 2-4 QMOD HDTV Modulators from a 4A power supply - Click here for details!
- Connect one source to VGA, Component, or S-Video/Composite inputs
- Component pass-through on RGB connector allows use of locking BNC-HD15 cable for professional sources and connection of scaler component video via HD15-HD15 cable
- Process VGA video as needed
- Connect audio to digital optical, coax, or stereo audio inputs
- Select inputs, channel, resolution, and RF output parameters from front-panel menus
720x480p at 59.94/60 Hz
RF Out: ‘F’, female, 75 ohm impedance
- RK1 Single Rack Kit, 1RU
- Standard-enclosure single rack kit
- RK2EZ Dual Rack Kit, 1RU
- Dual-unit rack kit for most Contemporary Research products
- PS12-4Y 4-Way 4A Power Supply
- Powers up to 3 232-ATSC+, 4 QMOD modulators, free when ordered with groups of 2-4 units
- PS12 1.5 Power Supply
- 12 VDC, 1.5 A
- RK1-AC Accessory Rack Shelf
- Shelf bracket attaches to single enclosure
Working With Latency (Delay) in HDTV Applications
Creating an MPEG stream on the fly will create a delay in video and audio, but there are solutions and integrators need to use RF in the right applications.
1080p over RF? How to Discern Facts from Fantasy
Can you distribute true 1080p HDTV channels? Yes, some moduators like the QMOD-HDSC can ingest 1080p, but the output will be 1080i.
Distributing Digital Signage over RF
If you're planning on sending only a few signage channels facility-wide, RF can be a good alternative to Ethernet
Willow Creek Church Distributes HD Video Efficiently
David Cooke, Video Director for Willow Creek Community Church in Barrington, Illinois, shares how the site chose broadband RF for HD media facility-wide.
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Datasheet
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Manual
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Integration Guide
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - PDF Drawing
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - CAD
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Hi-Res Image
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Firmware Updater V 5.8 - Expands 1080p parameters to accept Apple 1080p, adds improved EDID data, improves encoding of 1080i/480i Component video
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Firmware Updater Manual
- QMOD-HDSC HD Scaler Modulator - Firmware History
CR Training Apps
The following Flash apps explain the basics of QMOD setup and RF distribution.
Last Modified: 8/28/2014